Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hill Billy vs. Don Jaun

"Pop it is bedtime and the dentist said that you need to take your partial out at bedtime," I remind him. If I don't mention that removing it is by dentist's orders, he would prefer to wear the teeth 24-7. Reluctantly he goes back into the bathroom and takes it out putting it into its little bath.

Reluctantly you might say?! Several weeks ago, his first day of wearing it, was shear misery for him and for me. After listening to his day long complaints, "it feels like a big wad of something in my mouth," I had assumed that this contraption would end up being an expensive experiment in failure. But the following day, after his morning toiletries, out he came with his "mouth full" and he's been faithfully wearing it ever since with no complaints. Day and night in fact, if I don't remind him to remove it.

For several weeks now I've been analyzing this whole experience trying to discern how I managed to be so successful at getting him to not only want to wear it daily but to never want to take it out. Perhaps telling him that he didn't want to look like a hill billy with all those teeth missing followed by the story about his wife getting used to wearing her's, was just the right does of comparisons. Then following up the disgrace and comparisons approach, I loaded on the compliments regarding how nice he looked wearing the teeth. Perhaps these were the "one-two punches" that I needed to seal the deal. No choppers = Hill billy or yellow. New choppers = Attractive and brave. Now really, ... what man would not be motivated by that approach?

1 comment: