Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The New Cane

Observing my dad's daily walks I began to note that the stair steps on our porches seemed to have stretched farther apart and the paths around our house had suddenly become more uneven. Pop's dexterity and balance were becoming noticeably diminished causing me to feel that it was time to purchase a little walking assistance -- a cane. Considering his 88 years it is amazing to me that the need has not presented itself before now.

Once given to him it was obviously a welcomed addition that he wholeheartedly embraced. Knowing his streak of Sawyer pride, I had thought that perhaps the new stick might be viewed as an insult, a blow to his male ego. But, after endless thank yous and questions about its exorbitant price ($15), he took hold of the grip and moved out with confidence and a look of debonair.

Not only was I surprised at how well he embraced the use of the new cane for his practical needs but I have also become surprised at how creatively he is finding new and unusual uses for it. Bounce, bounce, bounce goes the cane in rhythmic taps on the floor, reverberating throughout the house. My dad's cane is an instrument! Walking out onto our front deck I observe him jabbing it at our fainting goats as he fends off imagined danger. It is now a sword! Gliding along swinging the cane rhythmically at his side, it has become a fashion statement. Competing for a chair that our black furry kitty had first dibs on, he takes it and pokes at the seat attempting to uproot Tazz. His cane becomes an element of aggression and power!

What a purchase! The possibilities for this new instrument of balance appears to be endless!

2 comments:

  1. He's amazing for 88!
    It's great that he adapted so easily to the new cane.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. My mom is mostly resistant to her cane at 86, but she sometimes asks for it. Glad it went so well. Who knew he could find so many uses for it?

    ReplyDelete