Monday, October 31, 2011

Greasy Pockets

How a man survives without a purse has always been one of my curiosities. Pockets being the male substitute for a purse still seems inadequate to me but so be it. Upon close examination this morning I noticed my dad's shirt pocket, carrying only a wad of tissues, looked gray at the base. And upon closer examination I determined the gray was caused by something greasy.

Now, Pop has never been what I would call a pack rat when it comes to possessions. But when it comes to cookies, ... well that is a whole different scenario. Never waste a good cookie is dad's philosophy. Yesterday sitting in one of his favorite wicker chairs I noticed him munching on the chocolate variety, one that I had not recently given him. Where it had come from I did not know and asking him would have proven fruitless, the memory long gone. Finding the cookie jar or the bags in the pantry would also have been beyond his capability. So I ruled that out, which left me with the only genuinely plausible answer -- cookie hoarding. And where would be the most logical place to stash your hoard? In the shirt pocket, of course! It is handy for the taking and it won't get sat upon to become crushed. Very logical. Greasy pocket mystery solved!

1 comment:

  1. Hiding cookies in his pocket is logical, way more than my mom, age 92 with dementia, hides cookies in her bed from those who would steal them from her. When asked why she hides them where they would get dirty & melt (chocolate chip cookies), she replies that she has no idea how they got there. There's no reasoning with her about it at this point. I so understand what you are going through with your dad. God bless them both.

    ReplyDelete