Saturday, February 13, 2010

Translating Pop's phrases

Pop is not much of a conversationalist anymore. If he is addressed he responds back with obvious comprehension and good articulation. But initiating dialog does not happen. Instead his version of communication comes in the form of pat phrases that he relies upon, sort of like lines that he has memorized for a play and recites at appropriate times throughout the day. Same phrases but I've learned they can have a variety of meanings. Following are some of those phrases and their translations:

"Let me know if there is anything I can do to help."
Translation:
"I am bored. Help me find something to do."
Or
"I am here. Don't ignore me."
Or
"It is getting close to dinner time and I don't see you in the kitchen."

"How are you feeling today?"
Translation:
"I have no idea what to say right now, but I care about you, and I want you to know it."
Or
"It is getting close to dinner time and I don't see you in the kitchen."

After a walk, while sipping his tea: "I needed that to bring me down."
Translation:
??????????????

"Sure smells good."
Translation:
"I'm hungry."
Or
"It is getting close to dinner time and I don't see you in the
kitchen."

"How's your day going so far?
Translation:
"I have no idea what to say right now but I care about you and I want you to know it."
Or
"It is getting close to dinner time and I don't see you in the kitchen."

"That was delicious. Thanks for the dinner." "That was delicious. Thanks for the dinner." "That was delicious. Thanks for the dinner." Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Translation:
"Meal time is the high light of each day. I can hardly wait for my next meal."
Or
"I am so grateful that you didn't forget to prepare my meal."
Or
"Food, food glorious food!"

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you've basically picked up another language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Maybe I could design a college course teaching this language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing SO much right now.....a mom just looked over at me while I am sitting here at Le Boughlanger. :)

    ReplyDelete