Monday, May 10, 2010

Cardigan Sweaters and Jackets named George

What is it about the elderly and sweaters or jackets? I understand that their circulatory systems are not as efficient as when younger and they tend to get colder easier. But it is 93 degrees outside right now and my dad is still wanting to wear his signature cardigan sweater.

I remember years ago when my grandfather, my dad's father, was in a convalescent hospital always accompanied by his coat named George. Yes, he had a name for his coat and to my knowledge he wore it or at least had it near him most all of the time until he passed away. It was an ugly, brown, plaid version made of some kind of course fabric. I remember it distinctly because it gave me no clue as to why it would be any source of comfort. It looked itchy. Fortunately my dad has not named his sweaters or jackets, but he wears them year round, even in the Texas heat! (Maybe it's hereditary?)

I wonder if these forms of outer wear are a throw back to infancy when the familiar baby blanket or pacifier was a source of comfort? Perhaps the sweaters have a threefold significance providing warmth, comfort and familiarity. I don't know.

As I sit here at my computer I have a perfect view of my dad's "track." In the early dusk I am watching him taking his umpteenth walk today and he is wearing his rather heavy white version, the one with all of the pulled threads. As he approaches the house I observe he is now carrying it. I guess he finally got the message that in light of the temperatures the sweater is a source of discomfort rather then comfort.

Living with dementia causes me to often contemplate the aging process and how it might manifest itself in me when I am my dad's age. The implications of sweaters and jackets and the elderly is not fully clear to me. But this I am sure of. When I am 87 I do hope I'm not consumed with my need of jackets or sweaters, especially any named George.

No comments:

Post a Comment