Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hiding From My Dad

Is it OK for me to admit that I spend a portion of each day trying to hide from my dad? I remember when I had toddlers there were times that I just wanted to hide, so I guess this is normal.

Hiding takes on various forms. There is the take-a-book-into-my-bedroom-and-close-the-door-and-read kind of hiding which is very deliberate and allows me some real down time. He's pretty good about not coming in if the door is closed and he sees the sign on the door that says, Wink and Judy's Room. But if the door is open he often just walks in like it is the living room or kitchen. No privacy with Pop.

Bathroom stops give me a few seconds. Another more brief form is just leaving-the-room-when-he-walks-into-the-room-and-go-into-some-other-room kind of hiding.

Sitting at my computer is a good way to hide for a period of time but he usually finds me, comes in, pats me on the shoulder and asks how my day is coming along, or if I'm feeling OK today (why he asks this I'll never know. To my knowledge I'm perfectly healthy). If I stay too long in the computer room, he'll come in several times and pat me on the shoulder and ask how my day is coming along, or if I'm feeling OK today.

Tea Time is my regular fall back. Sort of like bribing the kids with a Popsicle if they will go outside and eat it. I offer him tea and that usually occupies him for a good 30 minutes.

Errands or my work provides a nice lengthy escape, for hours but the trick here is that there has to be a "pop-sitter" at home. Thankfully my son and husband are self employed like me and that allows a flexible schedule for us to all take turns. Yeah!

Grocery shopping is tricky because he sometimes likes to go along and push the cart. When he does come with me, with hands on the cart handle, he'll look at me with a grin on his face and say, "Get in," like when I was a little girl and I'd ride in the cart. I joke back and tell HIM to "get in." Anyway, when it is time for grocery shopping and I want to do it alone I resort to my fall back position and make him, you got it, a cup of tea. Once he is sipping I can run out the door before he realizes that I'm gone. I remember doing that to my kids when the baby sitter came and I didn't want them to crumble into a puddle of tears before my husband and I got out the door. Distract and run!

Well, here I am sitting at the computer escaping. I guess I'd better go out and face the music, check on pop. Maybe I'll make him another cup of tea.

3 comments:

  1. Although I'm sure you have your hands full, this is all very amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....so that's why you would make us go outside when you gave us a popscicle....and that is why you would just dissappear when we were left with a babysitter......... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

    how....could....you......

    ReplyDelete
  3. When he asks how you are feeling he might be referring to your mental as well as your physical state because that is something he can relate to. Ive noticed if he is tired then other people must be tired. In the same state if he feels depressed or lonely or blind then other people probably do or just wondering if they are suffering in the same way kinda thing.

    ReplyDelete