Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Cut Down The Cherry Tree. I Can Not Tell a Lie.

As honest as Honest Abe or George Washington, pop is right up there among the greats. We've been having quite a bit of trouble with him losing a ruby ring that he has had 60 plus years. Because his finger is smaller now then it was when he first purchased the it years and years ago the ring kept falling off. In and of itself it is probably not worth a whole lot but the sentimental value makes it invaluable to our family. About three weeks ago he came to me, showed me his finger and announced that the ring was missing. Sure enough. I examined his hand where the ring usually adorns his pinky finger and it was most definitely not there. Thinking that all was lost I tried to put it out of my mind. Then this morning I noticed that there on his pinky was the ruby ring. "Pop, where did you find your ring," I exclaimed? "I don't know," was his response. And he didn't know.

Well, to make a long story short I found stashed away a less valuable but much flashier ring with a cubic zirconium set in a fake gold band and swapped this for the ruby ring. My intention was to take the ruby and have it sized to fit him so he would not continue to lose it.

Later in the day I came home from shopping to a very breathless and distraught dad. "I have something to show you," he said with a sorrowful frown on his face. He held out his pinky finger and said, "I think I walked out of the store with this ring on." He held out the gold ring with the CZ and showed it to me with an expression that screamed, "I'm dead meat and I'm sure the police are on their way to haul me off to jail." Poor guy thought he'd stolen a diamond ring.

1 comment:

  1. "hearing" this story for the second time is soooo entertaining but makes me sad too. like everything else. :) Poor guy. at least he is super honest. i appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete