Monday, January 18, 2010

Pop: On walking

I'm in our bedroom and in walks my dad, totally unannounced. "Where you goin' pop. Do you need something?" "Oh, I don't know. Just walking," is his reply. Pop raps on the computer room door (privacy all of a sudden?), "What'cha doin' pop?" Just wandering around looking for you," he says. Whether lost, confused or for exercise, Pop is a good walker.

Somewhere along the way he picked up the concept that walking is very beneficial to one's health. Several times a day, winter, spring, summer or fall he will dawn his baseball cap and out the door he goes. I see him through the window tooling around the loop in our yard. Once, twice and then back into the house. This will happen several times a day and each time he comes in he acts as if he has just climbed Mt. Everest. "Pop, you want some tea?" "Yes!" is the reply. "I just took a couple of laps around the yard and I really need something to bring me down." Bring me down? Not sure what that means but, OK. Tea coming right up (tea time is another topic that I will address in another blog).

In the evenings the walking picks up. Sundowners? Not sure but while we are all watching TV it is very hard to keep him in a chair for long. Up and down. Up and down. From the chair to his room, from his room to his bathroom, back to the chair, out into the living room. Maybe even into our bedroom, again. "What cha' doin' pop?" "Oh, I don't know, just walkin," comes the reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment