Thursday, March 4, 2010

Oblivious

My husband had quite a week end this past week. Following shoulder surgery he experienced numerous complications from infection to his back going out on him. He was in CA at the time that his back went into a spasm leaving him in terrific pain and totally incapacitated. In San Francisco he had just finished some intense Human Resources training for his consulting business and was looking forward to down-time with our daughter, my sister and brother-in-law who live in that area. Instead their leisurely visit turned into a medical night mare with our daughter up at night tending to her dad's aching back, hospital visits and ultimately his having to reschedule his flight home.

When the day of his arrival finally came, eager to get to the airport and rescue my man, I piled our son, Pop and myself into our truck and took off. What I didn't know is that I had left behind my key ring that had on it our house key. We arrived back home close to dusk with my weary husband in tow to a house locked tight-as-Fort Knox.

After calling the lock smith we discovered we had about 20 minutes to grab a sack at McDonalds to feed our growling stomachs before we had to be back at the casa to meet the door buster. Pop sat quietly in the truck until we got our food. "Who do I owe?" we heard from the back seat. Getting a buck from my dad for his hamburger was the least of my worries at this point so I told him we'd deal with that when we got home.

Arriving back at the house my exhausted husband and son met the Smith and they attacked the task at hand. Pop and I remained in the truck. It was now dark and the men worked by flash light with no luck. Pretty soon I heard from the back seat, "Are we disembarking?" "No, Pop, just stay in the back seat and finish your dinner. We're locked out of the house." "Oh," came his casual reply followed by "This sure is a good hamburger."

20 minutes went by and the house was still not unlocked. Pop looked out into the dark and said again, "Are we disembarking?" "No, Pop. Just stay put and finish your dinner." Again, "This is sure a good hamburger," came the cheerful reply.

Pretty soon Pop opened the truck door and out he went into the dark. I'm not sure what he was planning on doing but he wandered up to where the men were. The last bit of bad news was delivered to me at my truck window. They were going to have to drill out the lock. Pretty soon I saw the front door open and I took my cue that the mission had been accomplished and I headed in, too. $165 richer the Lock Smith left and Pop turned to me and asked, "How much do I owe you?" I felt like saying, $165, Pop!" But of course I didn't say that and told him not to worry about payment for the hamburger. He turned to mosey down the hall and I heard him say, "I sure enjoyed the ride." Patted my husband on the back and said, "Good to have you home!"

3 comments:

  1. Though I'm sure it is wearing many times, it IS a blessing that he is very good-natured, and very polite, too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, you are absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great post! i loved every minute of it. so so so funny, innocent, and caring....all at once.....

    ReplyDelete